What is DND?
National Customer Preference Registry (NCPR) is earlier known as Do Not Disturb (DND) and still familiar with the same name. NCPR is a TRAI initiative to enable mobile / land-line subscribers in India to choose what kind of commercials communication they want to receive or block all.
What is Commercial communication?
Any message, voice or SMS sent to mobile / land-line users informing about, or soliciting or promoting any commercial products or services is Commercial Communication.
What is Unsolicited Commercial communication?
- UCC (Unsolicited Commercial communication) is any message, voice or SMS sent to mobile / land-line without subscriber opting for it.
- All messages promoting material or advertisement of a product or service are Promotional messages and if a subscriber has not authorized are Unsolicited Commercial communication.
- However, any Transactional messages or communication transmitted by / advised by State or Central government or its agencies does not fall under UCC.
What are Transactional Messages?
- Alerts and information from your Bank / Financial institution about your Bank accounts, Credit cards, Investments, Insurance policies & etc., are Transactional messages.
- Messages or calls confirming your travel or your travel related information from Railways, Airlines or Government / Private Bus operators are Transactional messages.
- Or any messages, authorized by users like Subscriptions, Movie tickets are transactional messages.
What is “National Customer Preference Register” (NCPR)?
- NCPR is a data base containing the list of the telephone numbers of all subscribers who have registered their preferences for commercial communications.
- Access Provider / Operator also maintain a data base of registered telephone numbers and their preference/s regarding commercial communications, called “Provider Customer Preference Register”.
Who is Telemarketer?
- A person or a legal establishment practicing / promoting commercial communications is Telemarketer.
- TRAI keeps a record of telemarketers registered with them in a national data base called “National Telemarketers Register”.
What are the Preferences available for subscribers? What kind of categories can be chosen from?
- Fully Blocked : Blocks all Unsolicited Commercial Communication in this category.
- Partially Blocked : In partially blocked category, subscriber can stop all commercial communications, except SMS from a category / categories of preferred from below options:
- Banking/Insurance/Financial products/credit cards,
- Real Estate,
- Consumer goods and automobiles,
- Tourism and Leisure.
How to activate DND? / How to subscribe for NCPR?
Refer to DND Page and choose your current Mobile operator from the list to know how to subscribe to NCPR.
How to change the preference?
You can change the current preference after 7 days of last NCPR transaction; either registering for the first time or preference change. Refer to DND Page and choose your current Mobile operator from the list to know how to change the NCPR preference.
I received a commercial communication, even after registering my number in fully blocked category. Can I make any compliant?
Yes, you can make complaint if you have received any commercial communication even after registering with fully blocked category. Refer to NCPR (DND) Compliant Process.
I received SMS from a partially blocked category, which I have not opted for. Can I make any compliant?
Yes, you can make complaint. Refer to NCPR (DND) Compliant Process.
How can I de-register from NCPR / de-activate DND?
Refer to De-register from NCPR / de-activate DND.
How do I know, if that call is from Telemarketer?
All telemarketers has been allotted with 10-digit 70xxxxxxxx numbers series.
How do I identify the Commercial Communication SMS sender?
All Commercial Communications SMS carries Header as sender identification.
There are two types of headers and below the details:
- Promotional Messages: XY-NZZZZZ
- X: Access provider code
- Y: Service area code
- N: Partially blocked category
- Z: 5-digit telemarketer code allotted by Access provider
- Transactional Messages: XY-ZZZZZZ
- X: Access provider code
- Y: Service area code
- Z: 6-alphabets company / organization code of sender
Refer to more information on Identifying Commercial Communication SMS sender.
Who is Access provider?Below are the access providers in India:
- Basic Telephone Service Provider
- Cellular Mobile Telephone Service Provider
- Unified Access Service Provider
What is Area code?
It is a number allotted to a specific short distance charging area in the National Numbering Plan for accessing the telephone in such area.
What are the permitted timings for Telemarketers?
No telemarketing is permitted from 9.00pm to 9.00am, as per TRAI regulation.
Is the above DND FAQ′s are valid for all Access providers / Mobile operators?
Yes, the above DND FAQ′s are based on TRAI′s regulations and valid for all the below Access providers / Mobile operators.
- Idea Cellular
- Loop Mobile
- Reliance Communications
- Tata DoCoMo
- Tata Indicom
- Videocon Telecom